When to visit
- Summer - The most popular months are January and February when the weather is hot and dry and the wildlife tends to congregate around waterholes.
- The Migration - From June/ July to October the Migration takes place and it’s an extremely busy (and exciting!) time to visit.
- Winter/ Rainy season - During the long rains from March to May travel isn’t recommended.
- Dry season(s) - For gorilla trekking, we recommend travelling during one of Rwanda’s two dry seasons: mid-June to September or December to February.
- Rainy season(s) - For chimpanzee trekking, the rainy season produces lush greenery so chimps move about less and are easier to track.
- The short rainy season – October and November – is great for birding and photography. Rains normally come down in short, heavy bursts.
- During the long rainy season – March to mid-June – gorilla trekking can be tough and muddy.
- Dry Seasons (mid-December to February / June to September)- Gorillas can be seen at any time of year. However, since gorilla trekking tends to involve steep slopes and thick mud it is more comfortable to travel in one of Uganda’s two dry seasons. Remember that the gorillas do live in rainforest so conditions will still be humid and wet. And don’t forget your gaiters!