When to visit
South Africa has a lovely temperate climate with hot summers and mild winters.
- Winter (May to August) - Across South Africa’s reserves, winter signals the dry season and the best time to go on safari. Days are mild with plenty of sunshine, however, temperatures often drop in the early mornings and late afternoons – so pack a warm jacket. If you’re spending time in Cape Town, you may see some rain in between the crisp, cool winter days.
- Summer (October to March) - Cape Town is best in the summer months of October to March. Temperatures can get well into the 30° Celsius range (perfect beach weather!). Summer is the dry season in Cape Town, however, it is the wet season in South Africa’s reserves. Summer rains usually come down in short afternoon thunderstorms, and the landscapes turn lush and green.
Zimbabwe is an all-year destination with its warm, mild weather.
- Winter (May – September) - Winter in Zimbabwe is warm with sunshine in the day, and cold, clear nights. It’s a great time to visit Zimbabwe as there’s little rain and animals congregate around waterholes, making it easier to spot wildlife. Note: September can already be very hot and dry.
- Summer/ Rainy Season (October – April) - Zimbabwe’s summer is the rainy season, which is beautiful with sporadic rain and dramatic thunderstorms. Many animals give birth in the rainy season so it’s a good time to see newborns. It’s also the low season, so you will see fewer tourists.
Botswana is a year-round destination.
- During the dry winter season months between May and October, the bush is at its thinnest and the animals head towards the rivers and the Okavango Delta. The dry winter months are also the most comfortable time to visit as the days are warm and nights are cool, the rains have passed and there are less mosquitos.
- Winter (May to November) - Mozambique has a tropical climate, so temperatures are high for much of the year. The best time to visit is during the cooler winter months, when days are still warm (but not too hot) and you have the least chance of rain.
- The country has summer rainfall (November to March), and cyclone season is in January and February.