Strasbourg & Northeast France
Embark on a rustic journey to Alsace and discover picturesque villages, soaring churches and imposing castles tucked among gently rolling hills, ancient forests and miles of lush vineyards.
Bordering Germany and Switzerland, Alsace is characterized by a fine mix of different cultures as can be seen in the region’s gorgeous architecture and mouth-watering cuisine.
The European capital and the capital of ALSACE, Strasbourg exudes youthfulness and energy. If you love heritage, culture and the art of living, there's no doubt that you'll fall in love with this city!
Childhood dreams come alive in Alsace’s fairytale towns, and there are also the mighty castles on their lofty crags commanding attention and conjuring images of harrowing battles long past. Explore the half-timbered buildings lining the cobblestone streets of Strasbourg and Colmar, walk the narrow alleys of medieval Eguisheim, wander around the 15th Century mountain fortress of Haut-Koenigsbourg, and taste some of the finest wines in the world while following the great Alsatian Wine Route.
Things To See and Do
- Walk the hallways of the lavish 18th-Century Palais Rohan, the former residence of the cardinals and prince-bishops of the House of Rohan. The Palais is so opulent it is dubbed a miniature version of the Palace of Versailles.
- Soak up fantastic views of Strasbourg from the belfry of the 15th-Century Cathédrale Notre-Dame, the city’s iconic Gothic cathedral featuring leering gargoyles, flying buttresses and a soaring 142-metre spire.
- Amble along the twisting lanes and narrow streets of Grande Île, Strasbourg’s UNESCO-listed island. Sherbet-coloured timberframed houses line these streets and come nightfall, watch as they come alive with lit lanterns.
- Check out the impressive collection in Colmar’s Musée d’Unterlinden which includes prized medieval stone statues, works by Picasso and Monet, and the awe-inspiring Rétable d’Issenheim, the late-Gothic altarpiece created by the sculptor Nicolas of Haguenau and painter Mathias Grünewald.
- Drop by Cave de Ribeauvillé, the oldest winegrowers’ cooperative in France, and stock up on wine!
- Take in sweeping views of the Vosges, Black Forest and the Alps from the ramparts of Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, the turreted red-sandstone castle overlooking the Upper Rhine Plain.
- Stroll through Colmar’s lovely Little Venice quarter where halftimbered storybook houses line the waterway.
Some popular Strasbourg & Northeast France Packages
Celebrate La Vie Parisienne to the fullest with this 8-day, ultimate escape in Paris and travel beyond its boundaries through the beautiful Champagne region and to the mystic island of Mont Saint-Michel.
Discover France's world-famous wine regions including Alsace, Burgundy and Champagne in this exclusive, 8-day tour.
Indulge yourself with the best of French and Spanish food and wines during this fantastic, 7-day gourmet tour from Bordeaux to San Sebastian.
Delight in a cheese tasting session and travel to the Saint-Emilion wine region to sample the finest wines of Bordeaux.
Discover some of the most beautiful destinations of southern France and explore the vibrant city of Barcelona during this unforgettable, 9-day tour.
Enjoy a scenic cruise through France’s beautiful regions and uncover the rich cultural pasts of the historic cities along the Saone and Rhone rivers.
Journey through the marvellous city of Avignon and to France’s most beautiful villages: Roussillon, Gordes & Les Baux-de-Provence.