Discover Colombo, the beating heart and commercial capital of Sri Lanka, located on the west coast of the country. Due to its large harbour located at mouth of Kelani River, Colombo is known to merchants and traders 2,000 years ago.
Steeped in history, culture and multi ethnicity, Colombo is a mixture of old and new, featuring colonial-era buildings, luxurious hotels and high-rise office buildings, stunning Buddha temples and bustling street markets. Gain insight into the city’s diverse culture with a walking tour of the historic Fort and Pettah districts. Visit Gangaramaya Temple, one of the most notable temples of Colombo, featuring a mix of Sri Lankan, Thai and Chinese architecture. Discover Sri Lanka’s history at the National Museum. Enjoy an exciting tuk tuk ride around the city. After a long day, treat yourself with a kevum, an oil cake made with rice flour and deep-fried or aluwa, a pastry made from rice flour or potatoes with treacle, cashew nuts and cardamom, paired with some Ceylon tea.
Places to Visit
- Fort – The central business and financial district of Colombo. It is also home to numerous offices, banks, government offices, historical buildings and hotels. Notable landmarks include the President’s House, Presidential Secretariat, Bank of Ceylon, World Trade Centre of Colombo, Colombo Stock Exchange, Old Colombo Lighthouse, Colombo Lighthouse, St. Peter’s Church, Old Colombo Dutch Hospital and Grand Oriental Hotel.
- Pettah – A neighbourhood known for its market. Experience the colourful and bustling Pettah Market, a series of open-air markets and bazaars. Sample some savoury street food, exotic spices and buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Other significant landmarks include the Wolvendaal Church, Jami Ul-Afar Mosque, Khan Clock Tower, Columbia Dutch Museum, St. Anthony’s Church, Sri Muthu Vinayagar Swamy Temple, Old Kathiresan Temple and New Kathiresan Temple.
- Galle Face Green – Stroll along this scenic, 5-hectare urban park located in the heart of the city and overlooking the Indian Ocean. It was initially used for horse racing dating back to early 1820s and in 1879, British expatriates introduced golf to Sri Lankans playing on the Galle Face Green. Today, it a popular rendezvous spot and destination for vendors, children, kite flyers and merrymakers.
- National Museum – Known as the Sri Lanka National Museum, it is the largest museum in Sri Lanka. It was established on 1877 by Sir William Henry Gregory, a former British governor of Ceylon. This historic museum features art, carvings from Sri Lanka’s history including artefacts from the colonial period. It also houses the throne and crown of the Kandyan monarchs.
- Gangaramaya Temple – Discover one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Colombo. The temple features a mix of Sri Lankan, Indian, Thai and Chinese architecture. It serves as a place of Buddhist worship and centre of learning.
- Dutch Period Museum – Step back in time and discover the history of the Dutch colonial rule in Sri Lanka. Located in Pettah, this museum was the formal residence of Thomas van Rhee, a Governor of Dutch Ceylon. It features artefacts such as ceramics, furniture and weaponry during the Dutch rule.
When to visit
Sri Lanka is a tropical island nation dictated by two alternating monsoon seasons. Planning ahead is highly advisable so you know which part of the country is dry during your visit. Nevertheless, it can be seen as an all year-round holiday destination because clear blue skies and sunny days can be enjoyed even during the wet season.
High Season (December to March)
- The Hill Country and the west & south coast beaches are busiest and driest.
- The Maha monsoon season (October to January) keeps the East, North and ancient cities wet.
Shoulder (April and from September to November)
- April and September offer the best odds for good weather countrywide.
- A good time to wander without a set schedule.
Low Season (May to August)
- The Yala monsoon season (May to August) brings rain to the south and west coasts plus the Hill Country.
- The weather in the North and East is best.
Some popular Colombo Packages
Treat yourself to a relaxing vacation in Sri Lanka for 8 days! Unveil some remarkable spots and be captivated with stunning views in the beautiful country while unwinding on luxury wellness treatments that will lift your spirits and rejuvenate your body.
Immerse yourself in a luxury Sri Lanka adventure for 9 days! This pristine destination offers such an extraordinary combination of diversity, cultural heritage, people, wild life, adventure, and outdoor luxury experiences. Be amazed by the most beautiful destinations in Sri Lanka, from impressive ancient ruins and breathtaking views to fascinating national parks.
Indulge in a 14-day unique Sri Lankan experience! Whether you opt for diversity, cultural heritage, people, wild life, adventure or outdoor luxury experiences, Sri Lanka has so much beauty and nature that will surely satisfy your wanderlust.
An extensive array of flavours awaits you at Sri Lanka! This country is also known for its rich melting pot of cuisines influenced by cultural and historical factors. If you're looking for a trip that would both please your palate and allow you to uncover cultural heritage, then this 9-day escapade suits you!
Embark on an ultimate 8-day adventure as you discover the amazing wonders of Sri Lanka by jeep! There is no better way to explore safari and admire picturesque attractions than in style courtesy of a 4x4. From visiting national parks and historical sites to navigating the beautiful city of Colombo, Sri Lanka has got you covered!