Discover the diverse landscape of Sri Lanka’s west coast from the string of beaches of Negombo, Kalpitaya and Bentota, the bustling city of Colombo to Wilpattu National Park, Sri Lanka’s largest national park. This region is the most developed and tourist oriented in the country. Watch the sunset or enjoy kite surfing at Browns Beach in Negombo. Discover the cultural treasures at the National Museum in Colombo. Observe an array of wildlife at Wilpattu National Park. Visit the Galapata Raja Temple, a 12th century Buddhist temple in Bentota.
Places to Visit
- Colombo – Explore Sri Lanka’s commercial capital and largest city. Visit the city’s cultural landmarks including the Colombo Fort, Galle Face Green, the National Museum, Pettah Market, Viharamadevi Park and more.
- Negombo – Relax on the sandy beaches of Negombo, a major resort town located at the mouth of Negombo Lagoon. Other highlights you don’t want to miss include the Negombo Lagoon, Negombo Beach, Browns Beach, St. Mary’s Church. St. Sebastian’s Church and Angurukaramulla Temple.
- Bentota – Located 64 kilometres south of Colombo and the southwestern coastal belt of Sri Lanka lies Bentota, a popular beach resort town known for its palm-fringed beaches. The Bento Beach is also ideal for water-related activities such as sailing, diving, snorkelling and deep-sea fishing. Other tourist spots in Bentota and surrounding areas to visit include the Brief Garden, Bentota Turtle Hatchery, Galapata Raj Temple, Cinnamon Island and Ambalangoda.
- Kalpitiya – Discover one of Sri Lanka’s best-kept secret, Kalpitiya, known for its natural environment and diverse habitats from coastal plains to sand dune beaches. Take a cruise and watch hundreds of dolphins and whales swim alongside with your boat. Go bird watching at the Kalpitiya Lagoon or simply relax and watch the sun set at the Kalpitiya Beach.
- Willpattu National Park – Observe Sri Lanka’s abundant wildlife at Willpattu National Park, the largest and one of the oldest national parks in the country. Get your camera ready as many animals roam around including Sri Lankan elephant, Sri Lankan leopards, sloth bears, sambhur, water buffalo and spotted deer and many more.
- Hikkaduwa – Retreat to the vibrant coastal town of Hikkaduwa, 98 kilometres away from Colombo. It is famous for its sandy beaches, strong surf and beautiful coral sanctuary. Highlights include the Hikkaduwa Beach, Narigama Beach, Hikkaduwa Coral Reef and Sea Turtle Hatchery & Rescue Centre.
When to visit
Sri Lanka is a tropical island nation dictated by two alternating monsoon seasons. Planning ahead is highly advisable so you know which part of the country is dry during your visit. Nevertheless, it can be seen as an all year-round holiday destination because clear blue skies and sunny days can be enjoyed even during the wet season.
High Season (December to March)
- The Hill Country and the west & south coast beaches are busiest and driest.
- The Maha monsoon season (October to January) keeps the East, North and ancient cities wet.
Shoulder (April and from September to November)
- April and September offer the best odds for good weather countrywide.
- A good time to wander without a set schedule.
Low Season (May to August)
- The Yala monsoon season (May to August) brings rain to the south and west coasts plus the Hill Country.
- The weather in the North and East is best.
Some popular West Coast Packages
Treat yourself to a relaxing vacation in Sri Lanka for 8 days! Unveil some remarkable spots and be captivated with stunning views in the beautiful country while unwinding on luxury wellness treatments that will lift your spirits and rejuvenate your body.
Immerse yourself in a luxury Sri Lanka adventure for 9 days! This pristine destination offers such an extraordinary combination of diversity, cultural heritage, people, wild life, adventure, and outdoor luxury experiences. Be amazed by the most beautiful destinations in Sri Lanka, from impressive ancient ruins and breathtaking views to fascinating national parks.
Indulge in a 14-day unique Sri Lankan experience! Whether you opt for diversity, cultural heritage, people, wild life, adventure or outdoor luxury experiences, Sri Lanka has so much beauty and nature that will surely satisfy your wanderlust.
An extensive array of flavours awaits you at Sri Lanka! This country is also known for its rich melting pot of cuisines influenced by cultural and historical factors. If you're looking for a trip that would both please your palate and allow you to uncover cultural heritage, then this 9-day escapade suits you!
Embark on an ultimate 8-day adventure as you discover the amazing wonders of Sri Lanka by jeep! There is no better way to explore safari and admire picturesque attractions than in style courtesy of a 4x4. From visiting national parks and historical sites to navigating the beautiful city of Colombo, Sri Lanka has got you covered!