Finesse – Southern Burgundy Cruise
Tour and private wine tasting at Château de Chamirey in Mercurey
Discover Beaune and its famous Hôtel-Dieu Hospice
Visit Clos de Vougeot, home of the Chevaliers du Tastevin
Lunch in the beautiful setting of the Puligny & Chassagne Montrachet vineyards
Explore the ancient Roman city of Autun
Excellent opportunities for walking and biking
Boasting spacious cabin suites, each furnished with a tiled en-suite bathroom, the Finesse hotel barge is the perfect vessel for an unforgettable cruising holiday. It features a saloon livened up by natural light, a large sundeck with an alfresco dining area, and a spa pool where you can dip in whilst sipping Champagne and admiring the slowly passing countryside. Enjoy meals freshly prepared by a highly skilled chef and because the barge cruises at a slow pace, you can cycle or walk on the towpath along the canal. Take part in excursions to uncover Burgundy’s fascinating scenery and culture. Visit the 14th century Château de Germolles, discover Autun’s incredible Roman ruins, see the famous Hospices de Beaune, and enjoy a winery tour and private tasting at the gorgeous Château de Chamirey in Mercurey. Before your final night and Farewell Dinner, don’t miss a visit to Clos de Vougeot, one of the most famous grand cru vineyards in Burgundy, and have the opportunity to pay homage at the fields of Romanée Conti.
This tour departs on Sunday from Dijon. Cruise starts from St-Julien-sur-Dheune and ends in St-Jean-de-Losne.
2020 Departure Dates
- 22 & 29 March
- 5, 12, 19 & 26 April
- 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31 May
- 7, 14, 21 & 28 June
- 5, 12, 19 & 26 July
- 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 August
- 6, 13, 20 & 27 September
- 4, 11, 18 & 25 October
- Maximum of 8 passengers
- 4 suites
- 8-person spa-pool (hot tub) with electronic thermostat
- 8 bicycles
- Sun canopy on deck
- A small library of books and maps
- A collection of board games
- 3G internet connection and Wi-Fi (connectivity slow or not possible in some locations)
- Sound system with Bluetooth music player
- Computer in the saloon
Guests are met in Dijon* and transferred by air-conditioned minibus to Finesse for a Champagne Welcome and the opportunity to meet the crew. Then, there is time to wander along the towpath and admire the classic Burgundy scenery before dinner on board.
This morning, begin your voyage through Southern Burgundy along the Canal du Centre through undulating countryside to moor at the little village of St-Leger-sur-Dheune. Descend a series of 11 locks while cruising past the villages along the way. After lunch on board, visit the 14th century Château de Germolles, the best preserved of the residences of the Dukes of Burgundy, with its ducal chapel, medieval wall paintings and romantic gardens. Dinner on board.
This morning, head to Autun, founded by the Romans as Augustodunum. It has retained many of its original Antique monuments, such as Roman gates, ruins of a Temple and a 17,000-seat amphitheatre. Return to the barge for lunch, then cruise to the rural setting of Remigny, passing along the route picturesque Burgundian villages such as the famous wine-producing village of Santenay. Dinner on board.
After breakfast, set off on a drive through the Côte de Beaune vineyards to the town of Beaune itself, capital of Burgundy wine country where you visit the fascinating 15th century Hôtel-Dieu Hospice and explore the quaint shops of the town, before enjoying a gastronomic lunch in the heart of Puligny & Chassagne Montrachet vineyards at the restaurant Le Montrachet. After lunch, return to the barge for an afternoon cruise past the charming little town of Chagny, to your mooring near the village of Rully. Dinner on board.
This morning, continue your cruise along the Canal du Centre at a leisurely pace to moor at the village of Fragnes. There are perfect opportunities to walk or cycle along the towpath en route. In the afternoon, you will be escorted on a winery tour and private tasting to the delightful 17th century Château de Chamirey in Mercurey, owned by the Devillard family for five generations. Dinner on board.
This morning, the barge leaves the winding canal to join the peaceful River Saône, passing delightful little ports such as Seurre and Verdun-sur-le-Doubs en route, to arrive at St-Jean-de-Losne. After lunch on board, visit Clos de Vougeot**, headquarters of the esteemed Chevaliers du Tastevin (translates as “Fraternity of Knights of the Wine-Tasting Cup”), who award a special prized label to the finest Côte d‘Or vintages every year. You will have the opportunity to pay homage at the fields of Romanée Conti before returning to Finesse. Farewell dinner on board.
After breakfast, transfer by private chauffeured minibus to their choice of location in Dijon*.
per person, twin share
- Special meals for any preferences (e.g. vegetarian, no fish, or vegan) or allergies must be arranged at least 8 weeks prior to your departure date
- Children’s bikes, helmets & child bike seats can be arranged at least 8 weeks prior to your departure
- Wine Appreciation & Family cruise itineraries are available for charter groups. Supplements apply.
- “Biking Plus” option and Hot Air Ballooning are available.
Contact our destination specialists for more information.
- Price is per person based on double occupancy per cabin. Single supplement applies.
- This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change. On alternate weeks, the cruise will be in the reverse direction.
- Approximate transfer duration between Dijon & Finesse is approximately 45 minutes or 1 hour depending on the transfer direction
- *Other locations available for private charter bookings
**On Friday afternoon, charter groups might wish to visit Dijon with its Cathedral and mustard shops instead of Clos de Vougeot. This can be discussed with the Captain once on-board.
- Cabin bookings - Dijon - Grand Hotel La Cloche Dijon MGallery by Sofitel at 4:15 pm or Gare de Dijon Ville TGV station at 4:00 pm - meet at the Café Club Leo Resto
- Charter bookings - One location of the group’s choice in Paris or Geneva at 2:30 pm / Dijon, Lyonor LeCreusot TGV station at 4:00 pm
- Cabin bookings - Gare de Dijon Ville TGV station OR the Grand Hotel La Cloche Dijon MGallery by Sofitel by 11:00 am
- Charter bookings - One location of the group’s choice in Dijon, Lyonor Le Creusot TGV station by 11:00 am / Paris or Geneva by 12:00 noon
Food & Drink
Most meals are a set-menu (there is no choice available)
- Breakfast: Usually continental with fresh breads, pastries, jams, fruit, cereals, yoghurts, freshly squeezed orange juice, teas and coffee. A hot option is usually offered from the galley.
- Lunch: A casual three course affair comprising of a hot soup, or entrée, patés and cold meats accompanied by colourful salads, or a hot main course followed by delectable desserts. A selection of wines is served daily.
- Dinner: Always a gastronomic adventure created by your talented chef. A taste of regional cuisine by candlelight, complemented by fine wines, followed by a selection of regional cheeses, coffee and liqueurs.
- Captain’s farewell dinner is held on the last night of your cruise. Guests may choose to dress slightly more formal.
- Drinks included in the cruise price: Non-alcoholic beverages and regular or decaffeinated tea and coffee are offered with all meals. The well-stocked bar is open 24 hours a day serving beers, wines & spirits. Wines are served with meals and a there is a Champagne welcome on arrival.
- Drinks NOT included in the cruise price: Some Champagnes and special vintage wines
- Maximum of 8 passengers
- All suites can be configured with 2 single beds or a double
- Each suite has a stylish en-suite bathroom with hair dryer, shower cubicle, double wash basin and WC
You might also like
Treat yourself to a wonderful experience on board Athos, a first-class hotel barge cruising through the Canal du Midi. Savour delicious wines and gourmet dishes prepared by an expert chef. Venture to the spectacular towns and villages of Carcassonne, Minerve, Capestang, Narbonne, Portiragnes, and Marseillan.
La Belle Epoque was built in Netherlands in 1930 carrying timber from Burgundy to Paris. She was renovated and converted to a luxury hotel barge in 1995. She now cruises from Veneray-les-Laumes to Tanlay through the lovely Burgundy Canal.
Indulge in unparalleled comfort and style as you cruise through the heart of Burgundy on board the magnificent Belmond Fleur de Lys. Stay in an extra elegant cabin with en-suite bathroom and take part in exciting excursions to discover spectacular chateaux and picture postcard towns.
Cruise past soft landscapes and quiet villages set along Canal du Centre and the Saône River aboard the elegant Lilas barge. Take a dip in the on-deck pool, taste Burgundy’s finest food and wine, and join excursions to visit medieval chateaux and historic sites.
Hotel Barge Rosa takes you on a breathtaking odyssey along the calmer canals of southwest France. This premier class cruise includes tour and wine tasting in Saint Emilion and visit to the impressive Château de Duras.
Float elegantly across the undulating landscape of French countryside on a 7-day cruise aboard La Nouvelle Etoile, an ultra-deluxe, 8-passenger hotel barge offering the highest level of comfort throughout your holiday.
Nothing beats seeing the glorious landscapes of Rhône-Rhine canal from the deck of the premium barge Deborah, cruising from the ancient city of Besançon to the lively town of Dijon.
Take a delightful cruise through Southern France with MS Anne-Marie, a fully equipped barge offering elegant cabins, a restaurant and lounge bar, and terrace with Jacuzzi. Discover the wonders of Provence as you journey from Sète to Palavas-les-Flots, Aigues-Mortes, Gallician, and Arles.