The Ghan Train Tour | Australia
Featured The Ghan Packages
The Ghan: Traverse Australia’s Heartland
Journey through the heart of Australia aboard its most legendary train, The Ghan. It’s an enthralling adventure that takes you through the vast and varied landscapes of a magnificent continent. The real star of The Ghan is the landscape it traverses, from the pastoral hues of South Australia to the Red Centre and the tropical greens of the Top End. Off-train adventures allow passengers to explore the famous outback towns and connect with the landscapes and history of the region. Browse our Ghan packages today and set off on an adventure worthy of your bucket list.
The Ghan: Australia’s Legendary Train
Renowned as one of the world's greatest rail adventures, The Ghan offers a unique blend of comfort, luxury, and scenic beauty. For 85 years, the train has been an integral part of local folklore. Named after the Afghan camel drivers who pioneered routes through Australia’s tough interior, the train now echoes a bygone era of luxury train travel, where passengers dressed in their finery, sipped champagne, and dined on fine cuisine as they traversed the ever-changing Australian landscape.
The Ghan's epic journey spans across the Australian continent, offering two main routes:
- Adelaide to Darwin: Traverse the country’s vast heartland from the charming southern city of Adelaide, through the rusty hues of the Red Centre, to the tropical Top End in Darwin.
- Darwin to Adelaide: Embark on a southward voyage that weaves through the diverse terrains of the Northern Territory, reaching the vine-clad landscapes of Adelaide.
Unique Features & Experiences Offered
Enjoy modern comforts on an iconic route. Here are some of the luxuries you’ll enjoy with our Ghan packages:
- Luxurious Accommodations: Relax in elegantly appointed cabins, designed for comfort and style.
- Gourmet Dining Experience: Savour exquisite meals prepared by top chefs, featuring locally-sourced ingredients, paired with a selection of Australia’s finest wines.
- Off-Train Excursions: Engage in unique off-train adventures in places like Alice Springs and Katherine.
- Onboard Entertainment and Relaxation: Enjoy leisurely afternoons and evenings in the Outback Explorer Lounge. Socialise with fellow travellers, share stories, or simply relax with a book and a glass of wine.
- Insightful Cultural Experiences: Get the chance to participate in cultural demonstrations and storytelling sessions that bring Australia’s history to life.
Highlights of The Ghan
Our Ghan packages are a unique gateway to witnessing the varied scenic landscapes of Australia, such as:
- The Flinders Ranges: Witness the rugged beauty of ancient mountain ranges that create a dramatic backdrop as you leave Adelaide.
- The Red Centre: Marvel at the iconic red desert landscapes that embody the heart of Australia, offering spectacular views of the vast outback.
- The MacDonnell Ranges: Near Alice Springs, these ranges present a striking array of gorges, gaps, and rock formations.
- Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park: Experience the breathtaking gorge system with its towering sandstone walls, located near the town of Katherine.
- The Tropical Top End: As you approach Darwin, the scenery transitions to lush, tropical landscapes, providing a stark contrast to the arid Red Centre.
- The Adelaide Plains: Starting or ending your journey in Adelaide, you'll be greeted by the charming and verdant plains surrounding this cosmopolitan city.
The Ghan’s route is dotted with historic and cultural landmarks:
- Adelaide: A city planned by Colonel Light to be open and spacious.
- Crystal Brook and Port Pirie: Historic towns on the route to the rugged outback.
- Port Augusta: Home to the Pichi Richi heritage railway.
- Woomera and Tarcoola: Towns steeped in history, from rocket testing to gold mining.
- Coober Pedy: The opal capital of the world.
- Alice Springs: A town famous for its indigenous languages and cultural richness.
- Tennant Creek and Katherine: Towns that narrate the story of Australia’s gold rush and railway history.
- Darwin: A city with a rich history, named after Charles Darwin.
Planning and Booking a Ghan Rail Journey
How to Book
- Explore Ghan Packages: Visit our website to browse the variety of Ghan packages available.
- Consult with Travel Experts: For personalised assistance or if you have specific requirements, our dedicated team of travel experts is available to guide you.
- Select and Book Your Package: You can book your rail journey by contacting our reservation team. They will assist you in finalising your reservation and confirming your travel itinerary.
- Receive Your Journey Details: After booking, you will receive a confirmation along with all essential travel details.
For a seamless and enjoyable experience on The Ghan, ensure your travel documents are current and pack for varying climates, from the Top End's warmth to the cooler Red Centre evenings. Comfortable shoes for excursions and smart-casual attire for onboard dining are essential. Carry necessary medications and inform staff of any health or dietary needs. Familiarise yourself with the journey's itinerary to make the most of your trip. Embrace the chance for a digital detox, as connectivity is limited.
There’s nothing like putting down your suitcase and allowing your journey to simply unfold. Once you step aboard The Ghan, you can relax, knowing everything has been considered and included in your fare. From world-class food and wine to a range of immersive Off Train Experiences, the hardest decision you’ll need to make is what to have for lunch and which experience to join.
The beauty of experiencing Australia by train is that you have a front-row seat from which to observe the changing colours of the landscape. While the views of the outside world from the comfort of your cabin are captivating, sometimes it’s good to step off the train and stretch your legs to explore the remote pocket of Australia you find yourself in.
In between tracing the landscape, each leg of your rail journeys is marked with tailored Off Train Experiences and authentic encounters. These experiences tell the unique story of the land, providing a sense of place, people, and culture.
Life on board
Choose between Gold Twin or Single cabins, both of which provide the perfect place to relax and recharge after a day’s journey. Spend hours deep in conversation with new friends in the shared Outback Explorer Lounge, sipping on barista made coffee, or a glass of white wine. Later make your way to the Queen Adelaide Restaurant to dine.
Gold includes hearty breakfasts, two-course lunches and three-course dinners. You may also choose to complement your meal with a selection of premium wines and beverages, all included in your fare.
Gold Twin features a comfortable sleeper cabin featuring private ensuite and upper and lower berths that convert to a three-seater lounge by day. Gold Single offers a compact sleeper cabin featuring a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared shower/toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage.
Gold Premium offers a step up to a whole new style of train travel in 2024. Accommodated in newly designed, contemporary cabins, guests have exclusive access to the Gold Premium Lounge and Gold Premium Dining for meals and socialising. Enjoy delicious breakfasts, regionally inspired two-course lunches and delectable four-course dinners in beautiful surrounds, accompanied by a selection of premium beverages.
Gold Premium offers those luxe extras to make the journey special, such as priority check-in and an increased luggage allowance, luxury amenities, tour preferencing and more.
Choose between a Gold Premium Twin cabin (upper and lower sleeping berths) or Gold Premium Suite, which has a little more space with a three-quarter-size double bed plus a fold-down upper berth and a lounge area.
Platinum Service adds a new level of sophistication to your journey. Stylishly appointed and spacious cabins are complemented by discreet, personalised service and access to the exclusive Platinum Club carriage for meals, relaxation and socialising. Enjoy hearty breakfasts, two-course lunches and four-course dinners, all regionally inspired and paired with champagne and premium wines.
It all begins before you’ve even stepped aboard. Platinum guests receive private transfers before and after your journey, beginning the adventure in style.
Platinum cabins offer premium extras, like a full-size en suite, expansive window views from the train, and exclusive use of the Platinum Club carriage.
By day, your cabin is configured as a private lounge with deluxe seating, a table and two ottomans. By night, you’ll enjoy a deep, comfortable sleep as the lounges convert into a comfortable bedroom with either a double or twin beds.
In addition to the comfort of your beautifully appointed cabin onboard, you’ll find yourself indulging in sumptuous cuisine, fine wines, and camaraderie in our dining carriages.
The expert culinary team works closely with local suppliers, farmers and providores to source the best ingredients, creating an innovative, regionally-inspired menu accompanied by all-inclusive fine wines and beverages.
The Ghan FAQsView All
Can I request a forward-facing seat?
Yes, you are able to request forward facing-cabins aboard The Ghan at the time of booking; however, as approximately half the cabins face forward, we are unable to guarantee a forward facing cabin depending on the number of requests received for any given departure.
Can someone with mobility limitations travel on the The Ghan?
The Ghan, Indian Pacific and Great Southern have a Gold Access Cabin available for wheelchair bound/physically impaired guests travelling in Gold Service. This cabin is subject to availability and assessment of the guest’s Fitness to Travel. Please ask us for more information.
What are the meal times onboard the train?
In your cabin when you first board the train, you will find a card with the breakfast, lunch and dinner meal times for your journey. Your On-Board Attendant will advise you of the process. If you have any special requests regarding meal times, please speak with a member of the On-Board team when travelling.
Does the train have Wi-Fi?
Limited Wi-Fi is available in the Outback Explorer Lounges and Platinum Club carriages.
Please note that Wi-Fi availability is dependent on mobile network coverage, and as we travel through some remote locations it may not always be available.
What special dietary requirements can be accommodated on board the train?
Most special dietary requirements can be accommodated – including vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free and vegan. Please ensure this is advised at the time of booking.
Is there a dress code when onboard The Ghan?
It’s your holiday and we want you to be comfortable so smart casual attire is recommended.
We also recommend:
- Warm clothes for Outback Experiences as mornings and evenings in the Outback can be cool
- Hat, sunscreen and comfortable walking shoes for your Off Train Experiences.
Can I smoke onboard?
No, smoking is not permitted onboard The Ghan.
Do I need to check-in prior to arrival?
Check in opens approximately 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure time.
We ask all guests to check in at least 60 minutes prior to departure to be welcomed onboard. Please bring your travel itinerary and Photo I.D.
Are there luggage restrictions?
Luggage limits apply for both carry on and checked luggage. These limits vary depending on the level of service you are travelling in and by train.
While on board The Ghan, you can access one piece of hand luggage plus a garment bag, cabin bag or briefcase per person, and store this within your cabin.
Checked luggage cannot be accessed during your rail journey and will be stored on a separate part of the train. Checked luggage limits apply:
- Platinum Service (per person): 3 x 30kg
- Gold Service (per person) 2 x 30kg
Will I need travel insurance?
As with all holidays and trips abroad, we strongly recommend that you have travel insurance. Please consult with our agents at time of booking and we can assist you with this.