When to visit
Sri Lanka is a tropical island nation dictated by two alternating monsoon seasons. Planning ahead is highly advisable so you know which part of the country is dry during your visit. Nevertheless, it can be seen as an all year-round holiday destination because clear blue skies and sunny days can be enjoyed even during the wet season.
High Season (December to March)
- The Hill Country and the west & south coast beaches are busiest and driest.
- The Maha monsoon season (October to January) keeps the East, North and ancient cities wet.
Shoulder (April and from September to November)
- April and September offer the best odds for good weather countrywide.
- A good time to wander without a set schedule.
Low Season (May to August)
- The Yala monsoon season (May to August) brings rain to the south and west coasts plus the Hill Country.
- The weather in the North and East is best.