Posted by on 01 Nov 2019 , in Islands
Calm blue lagoons, white sand beaches, friendly people, swaying coconut trees and black pearl farms – French Polynesia is a paradise with amazing beauty. Here are 10 interesting things about Tahiti and Her Islands.
- The word “tattoo” comes from the Tahitian word “tatau”. Tattoo are considered signs of beauty among Polynesians. These are ceremoniously applied to the body when reaching adolescence period.
- Air Tahiti Nui is the first international airline based in Papeete, Tahiti
- The Tahitian alphabet consists only of 13 letters: the vowels a, e, i, o, u and the consonants f, h, m, n, p, r, t and v.
- There is a church in Fakarava called Jean de la Croix that is made up of coral
- Bora Bora served as a supply base and home to 6,000 US military personnel.
- Archery used to be a sacred sport in Tahiti during the ancient times
- The official language of Tahiti is French. English, however, is spoken mostly in establishments.
- Overwater bungalow was invented in Tahiti in the 1960s
- There are boxes outside the homes of Tahitian residents that are often mistaken for mail boxes. These are actually for French bread delivery.
- There are no poisonous snakes or insects in French Polynesia