10 Facts You Didn't Know About Tahiti
Posted by on 01 Nov 2019 , in Islands
Calm blue lagoons, white sand beaches, friendly people, swaying coconut trees and black pearl farms – French Polynesia is a paradise with amazing beauty. Here are 10 interesting things about Tahiti and Her Islands.
- The word “tattoo” comes from the Tahitian word “tatau”. Tattoo are considered signs of beauty among Polynesians. These are ceremoniously applied to the body when reaching adolescence period.
- Air Tahiti Nui is the first international airline based in Papeete, Tahiti
- The Tahitian alphabet consists only of 13 letters: the vowels a, e, i, o, u and the consonants f, h, m, n, p, r, t and v.
- There is a church in Fakarava called Jean de la Croix that is made up of coral
- Bora Bora served as a supply base and home to 6,000 US military personnel.
- Archery used to be a sacred sport in Tahiti during the ancient times
- The official language of Tahiti is French. English, however, is spoken mostly in establishments.
- Overwater bungalow was invented in Tahiti in the 1960s
- There are boxes outside the homes of Tahitian residents that are often mistaken for mail boxes. These are actually for French bread delivery.
- There are no poisonous snakes or insects in French Polynesia
Some popular packages from Tahiti
Spend lazy days by the pool or on the beach at the 4-star Manava Beach Resort and Spa, a gorgeous slice of paradise on Moorea.
A romantic holiday awaits you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora, a gorgeous resort boasting Polynesian bungalows and villas furnished with modern amenities.
Experience an ultimate island escapade at the 5-star Hilton Moorea Lagoon and Spa.
Unearth the jewels of French Polynesia when you stay at the gorgeous Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort, a piece of paradise on the famous Matavai Bay.
Discover the best of Tikehau - the Pink Island Paradise, during your intimate holiday at Tikehau Pearl Beach Resort. Revel in the luxe features of your Overwater Bungalow complete with a private deck and glass table offering incredible views of underwater fauna. Stay ashore to explore the Bird Island or gear up for an exciting adventure in the turquoise waters - said to contain a higher concentration of fish than any other lagoon in French Polynesia.
Tahiti 2021 Packages Coming Soon!
Embrace the celebrity treatment and world-class service with our fabulous InterContinental Bora Bora package. Situated on Motu Piti Aau, InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa features an exclusive private beach, an award-winning spa and excellent dining experience with three restaurants on site. Enjoy the resort’s water sports facilities and cultural offerings. This package also includes two nights at the 4-star InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.
Bask in the beauty and romance of Bora Bora and Tahiti with an unforgettable, 7-night stay at the luxurious resorts of InterContinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa. Enjoy the authentic Polynesian Vibes and warm, welcoming atmosphere at Intercontinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and relax on the deck of your very own Overwater Bungalow.