10 Facts You Didn't Know About Tahiti
Posted by on 01 Nov 2019 , in Islands
Calm blue lagoons, white sand beaches, friendly people, swaying coconut trees and black pearl farms – French Polynesia is a paradise with amazing beauty. Here are 10 interesting things about Tahiti and Her Islands.
- The word “tattoo” comes from the Tahitian word “tatau”. Tattoo are considered signs of beauty among Polynesians. These are ceremoniously applied to the body when reaching adolescence period.
- Air Tahiti Nui is the first international airline based in Papeete, Tahiti
- The Tahitian alphabet consists only of 13 letters: the vowels a, e, i, o, u and the consonants f, h, m, n, p, r, t and v.
- There is a church in Fakarava called Jean de la Croix that is made up of coral
- Bora Bora served as a supply base and home to 6,000 US military personnel.
- Archery used to be a sacred sport in Tahiti during the ancient times
- The official language of Tahiti is French. English, however, is spoken mostly in establishments.
- Overwater bungalow was invented in Tahiti in the 1960s
- There are boxes outside the homes of Tahitian residents that are often mistaken for mail boxes. These are actually for French bread delivery.
- There are no poisonous snakes or insects in French Polynesia
Some popular tours from Tahiti
Fall for the irresistible beauty of French Polynesia aboard Oceania's Insignia/Regatta ship. From Papeete, your ship shall make its way across South Pacific's glittering beaches, lagoons, and cultural spots filling your gaze with unforgettable vistas and natural wonders. Your cruise getaway includes a 2-night pre/post stay at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa sprawled beautifully on a lush tropical garden alongside an idyllic lagoon.
Experience the most beautiful islands of French Polynesia, Moorea and Tahiti, and create treasured moments with this 7-night package.
Spend lazy days by the pool or on the beach at the 4-star Manava Beach Resort and Spa, a gorgeous slice of paradise on Moorea.
A romantic holiday awaits you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora, a gorgeous resort boasting Polynesian bungalows and villas furnished with modern amenities.
Get the celebrity treatment and world-class service with our fabulous InterContinental Bora Bora package. Situated on Motu Piti Aau, InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa features an exclusive private beach, an award-winning spa and excellent dining experience with three restaurants on site. Enjoy the resort’s water sports facilities and cultural offerings. This package also includes two nights at the 4-star InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.
Escape to the beautiful and romantic island of Bora Bora with a 7-night stay at the luxurious, 5-star Le Meridien Bora Bora and the charming, Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort.
Experience the amazing features of Aranui 5 during your Polynesian journey to the remote ports and exotic islands of the Marquesas. Package includes a 2-night stay at the stunning Manava Suite Resort.
Bask in the beauty and romance of Bora Bora and Tahiti with an unforgettable, 7-night stay at the luxurious resorts of InterContinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.