When to visit
High Season (July)
- Attractions and lodgings are open.
- Hotels outside Helsinki are often substantially cheaper.
- Summer budget accommodation is open.
- Boat cruises are running.
- Numerous festivals held across the country.
Shoulder (June & August)
- Long days with decent temperatures.
- Most attractions are open.
- Not as crowded as July.
- Fewer insects up north.
- Country shuts down over midsummer weekend.
Low Season (September – May)
- Outside cities, many attractions are closed.
- For autumn leaf colour, visit around September to October.
- Hotels charge top rates, except on weekends.
- Aurora-spotting chances are highest in October, November and March.
- Experience plenty of snow from December to March. Also, the best time for winter activities.
- April to May is the period for springtime sun and the revival of nature.
- Short, cool or cold days.