Tetiaroa is located 60 km northeast of the island of Tahiti and is surrounded on all sides by the great blue expanse of the South Pacific.
Tetiaroa is completely private with its own airfield. It is accessible by a short flight of approximately 20 minutes from a private terminal at Tahiti’s Faa’a International Airport. The island was purchased by Marlon Brando in 1966 and houses the luxury The Brando resort. It is surrounded by a vibrant reef that is impenetrable to marine navigation.
Tetiaroa is an atoll composed of twelve separate sandly islets, motus and is a haven for marine and birdlife.
- Onetahi. The Brando Resort is located on the island that was once the favoured retreat of Tahitian royalty.
- Honuea. Venture the short distance by outrigger canoe to explore white-sand beaches and a shallow, crystalline lagoon.
- Tiaraunu. The largest of the motus with an abundance of coconut palms.
- Tauini, Tauroa & Hiraanae. The northernmost cluster of motus are separated only by little hoa (breaks in the coral reef) and the location of lemon shark nurseries.
- Oroatera. An island paradise with spectacular beaches and a lagoon along with a seahorse-shaped pond which spawned an ancient legend.
- Aie. The smallest of the 12 motus.
- Tahuna Iti & Tahuna Rahi. A sanctuary for birds such as red-breasted black frigates, phaetons, brown gannets, and other petrels.
- Reiono. The only motu that has preserved its primitive, original rain forest. Reiono also serves as the wilderness home for Kaveu (coconut crabs).
- Rimatuu. The first of these motus to be inhabited by Europeans, Rimatuu was once a coconut plantation islet with its own village and dock.
The highest points of all of the motus are the tops of the coconut trees!
We love the pristine waters and thriving natural habitat of Tetiaroa. It is not only home to the fabulously chic The Brando resort but it is a popular day tripping destination, with a variety of companies in Tahiti offering 1 or 2 day Catamaran trips to the island. Day trippers do not have access to the Brando resort and indeed visit distant motus away from the private resort areas.
Tetiaroa will suit those travellers staying on the island of Tahiti and looking to experience a pristine paradise atoll for the day or of course those travellers looking for the ultimate in five star luxury on offer at the private resort, The Brando.
Some popular Tetiaroa Packages
Fall for the irresistible beauty of French Polynesia aboard Oceania's Insignia/Regatta ship. From Papeete, your ship shall make its way across South Pacific's glittering beaches, lagoons, and cultural spots filling your gaze with unforgettable vistas and natural wonders. Your cruise getaway includes a 2-night pre/post stay at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa sprawled beautifully on a lush tropical garden alongside an idyllic lagoon.
Experience the most beautiful islands of French Polynesia, Moorea and Tahiti, and create treasured moments with this 7-night package.
Spend lazy days by the pool or on the beach at the 4-star Manava Beach Resort and Spa, a gorgeous slice of paradise on Moorea.
A romantic holiday awaits you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora, a gorgeous resort boasting Polynesian bungalows and villas furnished with modern amenities.
Get the celebrity treatment and world-class service with our fabulous InterContinental Bora Bora package. Situated on Motu Piti Aau, InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa features an exclusive private beach, an award-winning spa and excellent dining experience with three restaurants on site. Enjoy the resort’s water sports facilities and cultural offerings. This package also includes two nights at the 4-star InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.
Escape to the beautiful and romantic island of Bora Bora with a 7-night stay at the luxurious, 5-star Le Meridien Bora Bora and the charming, Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort.
Experience the amazing features of Aranui 5 during your Polynesian journey to the remote ports and exotic islands of the Marquesas. Package includes a 2-night stay at the stunning Manava Suite Resort.
Bask in the beauty and romance of Bora Bora and Tahiti with an unforgettable, 7-night stay at the luxurious resorts of InterContinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.