Tetiaroa is located 60 km northeast of the island of Tahiti and is surrounded on all sides by the great blue expanse of the South Pacific.
Tetiaroa is completely private with its own airfield. It is accessible by a short flight of approximately 20 minutes from a private terminal at Tahiti’s Faa’a International Airport. The island was purchased by Marlon Brando in 1966 and houses the luxury The Brando resort. It is surrounded by a vibrant reef that is impenetrable to marine navigation.
Tetiaroa is an atoll composed of twelve separate sandly islets, motus and is a haven for marine and birdlife.
- Onetahi. The Brando Resort is located on the island that was once the favoured retreat of Tahitian royalty.
- Honuea. Venture the short distance by outrigger canoe to explore white-sand beaches and a shallow, crystalline lagoon.
- Tiaraunu. The largest of the motus with an abundance of coconut palms.
- Tauini, Tauroa & Hiraanae. The northernmost cluster of motus are separated only by little hoa (breaks in the coral reef) and the location of lemon shark nurseries.
- Oroatera. An island paradise with spectacular beaches and a lagoon along with a seahorse-shaped pond which spawned an ancient legend.
- Aie. The smallest of the 12 motus.
- Tahuna Iti & Tahuna Rahi. A sanctuary for birds such as red-breasted black frigates, phaetons, brown gannets, and other petrels.
- Reiono. The only motu that has preserved its primitive, original rain forest. Reiono also serves as the wilderness home for Kaveu (coconut crabs).
- Rimatuu. The first of these motus to be inhabited by Europeans, Rimatuu was once a coconut plantation islet with its own village and dock.
The highest points of all of the motus are the tops of the coconut trees!
We love the pristine waters and thriving natural habitat of Tetiaroa. It is not only home to the fabulously chic The Brando resort but it is a popular day tripping destination, with a variety of companies in Tahiti offering 1 or 2 day Catamaran trips to the island. Day trippers do not have access to the Brando resort and indeed visit distant motus away from the private resort areas.
Tetiaroa will suit those travellers staying on the island of Tahiti and looking to experience a pristine paradise atoll for the day or of course those travellers looking for the ultimate in five star luxury on offer at the private resort, The Brando.
Some popular Tetiaroa Packages
Spend lazy days by the pool or on the beach at the 4-star Manava Beach Resort and Spa, a gorgeous slice of paradise on Moorea.
A romantic holiday awaits you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora, a gorgeous resort boasting Polynesian bungalows and villas furnished with modern amenities.
Experience an ultimate island escapade at the 5-star Hilton Moorea Lagoon and Spa.
Unearth the jewels of French Polynesia when you stay at the gorgeous Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort, a piece of paradise on the famous Matavai Bay.
Discover the best of Tikehau - the Pink Island Paradise, during your intimate holiday at Tikehau Pearl Beach Resort. Revel in the luxe features of your Overwater Bungalow complete with a private deck and glass table offering incredible views of underwater fauna. Stay ashore to explore the Bird Island or gear up for an exciting adventure in the turquoise waters - said to contain a higher concentration of fish than any other lagoon in French Polynesia.
Tahiti 2021 Packages Coming Soon!
Embrace the celebrity treatment and world-class service with our fabulous InterContinental Bora Bora package. Situated on Motu Piti Aau, InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa features an exclusive private beach, an award-winning spa and excellent dining experience with three restaurants on site. Enjoy the resort’s water sports facilities and cultural offerings. This package also includes two nights at the 4-star InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.
Bask in the beauty and romance of Bora Bora and Tahiti with an unforgettable, 7-night stay at the luxurious resorts of InterContinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa. Enjoy the authentic Polynesian Vibes and warm, welcoming atmosphere at Intercontinental Le Moana Resort Bora Bora and relax on the deck of your very own Overwater Bungalow.