Rising in the Mediterranean Sea and bordered by Italy in the east and Sardinia in the south, the mountainous island of CORSICA is an exciting playground for outdoors lovers.
Coastal towns, craggy peaks, dense forests and dazzling white sand beaches are just some of what CORSICA has in store for visitors.
The island’s rule changed hands multiple times over the centuries and saw Saracens, Goths, Vandals, Romans and Carthaginians, all contributing to the unique culture that has become uniquely Corsican and is quite evident in the island’s architectural heritage.
Although it has been part of France since 1768, Corsica retains a culture that is distinctly Italian—something that makes a holiday In Corsica a unique and extraordinary experience.
Things to see and do
• Visit Napoleon Bonaparte’s former house in Ajaccio, the capital of Corsica. The beautifully-preserved childhood home is now a museum whose collection includes a death mask of the emperor.
• Discover the historic Citadel of Calvi, a massive 13th Century citadel that has fended off attacks from raiders and protected the city from invaders. The citadel’s old town is crisscrossed by stairways, tunnels and walkways that make for an interesting stroll.
- Relax at the beautiful beaches of Porto Vecchio. Some of the most famous are Palombaggia, Santa Giulia and Pinarello.
- Head to Corsica’s northern tip and explore Cap Corse’s perched villages, rocky cliffs, pretty ports and lush hills.
- Look out towards Sardinia from the canon positions of Bonifacio Citadel. The walls were erected in the mid-16th Century to guard the small harbour town against Turkish corsairs and the Kingdom of Aragon.
- Drop by the mountain top Chapelle de Notre Dame de la Serra for outstanding vistas of the Bay of Calvi.
- Take a boat from the port of Calvi and and take in the full beauty of Scandola Nature Reserve on a 3-hour tour. Volcanic headlands, red cliffs, grottoes and coves are just some of the incredible sights that await visitors in the UNESCO-listed reserve.
When to visit
May, Sep & Oct is ideal if you want to enjoy activities such as cycling and hiking. As June to August is quite hot. However the water is amazing so perfect to enjoy a beach holiday.
Some popular Corsica Packages
Celebrate La Vie Parisienne to the fullest with this 8-day, ultimate escape in Paris and travel beyond its boundaries through the beautiful Champagne region and to the mystic island of Mont Saint-Michel.
Discover France's world-famous wine regions including Alsace, Burgundy and Champagne in this exclusive, 8-day tour.
Indulge yourself with the best of French and Spanish food and wines during this fantastic, 7-day gourmet tour from Bordeaux to San Sebastian.
Delight in a cheese tasting session and travel to the Saint-Emilion wine region to sample the finest wines of Bordeaux.
Discover some of the most beautiful destinations of southern France and explore the vibrant city of Barcelona during this unforgettable, 9-day tour.
Enjoy a scenic cruise through France’s beautiful regions and uncover the rich cultural pasts of the historic cities along the Saone and Rhone rivers.
Journey through the marvellous city of Avignon and to France’s most beautiful villages: Roussillon, Gordes & Les Baux-de-Provence.