The Canadian Train Tour | Canada
Featured VIA Rail - The Canadian Packages
VIA Rail - The Canadian - A Classic Rail Adventure
Set off on VIA Rail's flagship train, The Canadian, for an unparalleled four-night journey between Vancouver and Toronto. This iconic rail adventure lets you witness Canada's vast beauty in a truly unique way. Departing from the city centre, you'll glide through tranquil prairie fields, rugged lake regions, and charming towns, all the way to the snow-capped peaks of the majestic Rockies.
The Canadian encapsulates the essence of a classic rail journey, complete with a dining car, glass viewing domes for panoramic scenery, and your own private cabin where you can drift off to sleep with the train's soothing rhythms. Explore our VIA Rail - The Canadian packages and plan your next epic adventure with Entire Travel Group!
Experience Canada's Majesty on The Canadian
With our VIA Rail - The Canadian packages, you get to journey across the vast expanse of Canada in classic elegance. This historic rail adventure, operating since 1978, is a sensory feast, taking you from one vibrant cityscape or scenic landscape to another. More than just a travel experience, The Canadian is also a cultural journey. Onboard activities and events are an opportunity to learn about the rich heritage and traditions of Canada.
VIA Rail's The Canadian’s 4,446-kilometre transcontinental route primarily operates between two major cities:
- Toronto, Ontario: The journey typically starts or ends in Toronto, which is located in the eastern part of Canada. Toronto is a major urban hub, known for its diverse culture and landmarks like the CN Tower.
- Vancouver, British Columbia: The other terminus of the journey is Vancouver, on the west coast of Canada. Vancouver is renowned for its dramatic Pacific Northwest beauty featuring lush forests, rugged coasts, and turquoise lakes.
Unique Features & Experiences Offered
The Canadian is sought after for its bespoke, luxury amenities, including:
- Well-appointed Cabins: On The Canadian, cabins range from the comfortable Sleeper Plus berths to the luxurious Prestige Class suites, all featuring cosy bedding, adjustable lighting, and ample storage. Prestige Class takes it up a notch with private bathrooms, large windows, and flat-screen TVs for a truly indulgent experience.
- Word-class Dining: Enjoy world-class dining in the elegant onboard car, where skilled chefs prepare delightful Canadian dishes using fresh, locally-sourced ingredients. Both Sleeper Plus and Prestige Class passengers can savour this full-service culinary adventure.
- Panoramic Viewing Cars: Experience the beauty of Canada through the panoramic viewing cars. These glass-domed cars offer 360-degree vistas of breathtaking landscapes like the Rocky Mountains and vast prairies, perfect for sightseeing and photography.
- Onboard Activities and Entertainment: The Canadian offers a range of onboard activities, including informative talks, live music, and wine tastings. These activities provide insights into the culture and history of the regions you travel through.
- Lounge Areas: Unwind in the comfortable lounge areas, ideal for relaxation, reading, or socialising. Sleeper Plus and Prestige Class passengers enjoy access to exclusive, more private lounges for an added touch of tranquillity.
Highlights of the VIA Rail - The Canadian’s Journey
Our VIA Rail - The Canadian packages take you to Canada's most spectacular sights:
- The Canadian Rockies: Awe-inspiring views of towering mountains and lush valleys.
- Jasper National Park: A stunning UNESCO site with pristine lakes and glaciers.
- The Golden Prairies: Vast, serene landscapes across Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Lakes and Rivers: Peaceful views of Canada's abundant freshwater bodies.
- Northern Ontario's Wilderness: Dense forests and reflective lakes offering rugged natural beauty.
- Urban Vistas: The journey also includes glimpses of city life in Toronto and Vancouver, adding an urban contrast.
Travelling on VIA Rail - The Canadian offers a glimpse into Canada's vibrant cultural landscape:
- Toronto's Urban Diversity: Explore Toronto's multicultural neighbourhoods, museums, and markets.
- Prairie Heritage: Experience the agricultural heartland and rural traditions of the Canadian prairies.
- Indigenous History in Jasper: Learn about the rich Indigenous heritage of Jasper National Park.
- Winnipeg's Cultural Hub: Stop in Winnipeg to explore its art, history, and the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
- Rocky Mountain Lore: Discover tales and folklore of the Canadian Rockies and their explorers.
- Vancouver's Coastal Culture: End your journey in Vancouver, a blend of urban sophistication and coastal charm.
Planning and Booking a VIA Rail - The Canadian Journey
How to Book
Start your adventure with The Canadian by selecting the perfect package on our website. Our dedicated team is here to provide tailored booking assistance and travel advice. Once your booking is confirmed, we’ll send you detailed information to ensure a smooth and unforgettable journey.
To enjoy a hassle-free trip on The Canadian, make sure all essential travel documents, like passports and tickets, are in order. Dress in smart-casual attire for comfort and style during your journey, and pack according to the varied Canadian climate. Familiarise yourself with the itinerary, noting departure times and scenic highlights along the route. Lastly, consider purchasing travel insurance for extra security and peace of mind.
No other mode of transportation allows you to experience the country so intimately.
Experience the romance of the rails and spectacular scenery from the comfort and elegance of the restored art-deco surroundings. Discover the magic of land cruising in Sleeper Touring class. Privileges include fine dining, a choice of comfortable accommodation, a shower in each sleeping car and exclusive use of the Park and Skyline Cars lounges and domes. Year-round the Skyline Car is transformed into a family-oriented activity car.
Life on board
Sleeper Plus offers the added comfort of amenities, great service and your choice of a cosy berth, a cabin for one, two or three people. The show continues inside the train with wine tastings, presentations, access to lounges and cars with glass ceilings. Inside the dining car, enjoy freshly cooked meals, regional specialties, non-alcoholic beverages and stunning views. Cabins include a WC and sink, with access to a shared shower.
Prestige Sleeper Class provides an exciting level of comfort and service for travellers. Enjoy spacious cabins, a personal concierge and a turn down service nightly. Relax in the laid-back atmosphere in the lounge of the Prestige Park Car. Indulge in this refined comfort as you watch the Canadian countryside pass you by. Your room includes a private bathroom, with toilet, sink and a shower as well as alcoholic beverages and an enhanced dining service.
The Dining car will be open to Sleeper Plus passengers. Reservations are needed for lunch and dinner. The Dining car is just another one of the joys of rail travel.
VIA Rail - The CanadianView All
Can I sleep on the train?
The Canadian Train offers sleeper berths and cabins for passengers. These accommodations include upper and lower berths, as well as cosy cabins suitable for one to four travellers. Additionally, there is an opportunity to reserve a Prestige Cabin, which provides a private bathroom and shower.
Where does the Canadian train go?
The train in Canada breaks at prominent locations such as Vancouver, Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Toronto, as well as numerous other smaller destinations.
Is there a dining car on the Canadian?
Certainly! Sleeper Plus Class and Prestige Class passengers are granted access to the dining car, where they can enjoy three delectable meals prepared by skilled chefs each day. Economy Class passengers, on the other hand, have access to meals, snacks, and a diverse selection of beverages provided by the train attendants. It's important to note that for Economy Class passengers, the cost of the Canadian Train does not cover meals or snacks.
Are meals included?
Enjoy a selection of meals, snacks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages sold at affordable prices.
Sleeper Plus class and Prestige
To enjoy an elegant ambience and gourmet meals served in the dining car, choose Sleeper Plus or Prestige class to have all meals included in the price of your ticket.
You wish to bring your own food on board?
Before you do so, be aware of VIA Rail's rules on transporting, refrigerating and heating personal foods. All rules follow the recommendations made by Transport Canada and Health Canada:
- Passengers in all classes of service do not have access to self-serve microwave ovens in any car.
- Passengers cannot bring their own food to refrigerate or heat up unless it is for medical reasons or severe allergies. The only exception is baby formula and baby foods. In these cases, the employee will handle both refrigeration and heating. Foods must be kept in their own sealed containers to avoid possible cross contamination.
- Take-out attendants are responsible for heating all foods purchased at the take-out, including hot water.
- Passengers cannot use their own heating devices (portable microwave, kettle…). Electric or battery-operated baby bottle heaters are the only exception.
- Passengers can travel with a small cooler with personal items and dry foods they can keep sealed in their accommodation or seat storage.
Can special meals requests be accommodated?
Travellers in Sleeper Plus and Prestige classes can be served special meals provided that 15+ days’ notice is given.
Can travellers with special needs be accommodated?
Whether you are travelling in a wheelchair or have any other special needs, VIA Rail will try everything they can to meet your requirements and make your trip as pleasant as possible.
The range of special services on offer varies across Canada, depending on stations and train facilities.
What is the dress code on the train?
Dress onboard The Canadian is casual. Here are some recommendations on what you may want to wear onboard the train:
- Comfortable, cool layers as there are expansive windows
- A light jacket or sweater as the air conditioning may feel just right for some, but chilly for others
- Flat-soled shoes with grip to help keep you steady with the natural movement of the train
- A hat and sunglasses for sunny days
Does the train have Wi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is not offered on this train. It is available at these stations: Vancouver, Jasper, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto.
Is smoking permitted on the train?
This route offers a smoke-free environment. Those who wish to smoke will be able to do so during regular station stops at Capreol, Hornepayne, Sioux Lookout, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Kamloops.
Will I need travel insurance?
As with all holidays and trips abroad, we strongly recommend that you have travel insurance. Please consult with our agents at time of booking and we can assist you with this.