A few minutes flight from Tahiti, or just 30 mins on the ferry, lies Tahiti’s sister island, Moorea.
Cook’s and Oponohu bays are surrounded by the lush green heights of striking mountain peaks and hidden craters of pineapple plantations. The island’s lagoon waters are crystal-clear and home to the famous shark and ray feeding demonstrations. Moorea is known as the activities island and offers a full range of water and land based activities from horse riding to Quad bike riding, from snorkelling to jet skiing, from massage to hiking... it is all on offer in Moorea!
We love Moorea because of its relaxed vibe. Moorea offers a more authentic feel than the more built up island of Tahiti or the more tourism driven island of Bora Bora. You don’t feel overrun here and you can sample the typical and relaxed way of island life. Moorea’s lagoon waters are simply stunning and its breathtaking mountain peaks add to the allure.
Moorea will suit most travellers as it offers a diverse range of holiday styles. Moorea can offer a touch of class with its luxurious overwater bungalow resorts or appeal to those looking for a simpler more casual holiday with a range of small hotels and pensions. Moorea is perfect for those who want stay put and enjoy the resort splendours or for those also wanting to be more active and explore the island’s wonders through the large range of land and water based activities on offer.
Here's some of our favourite things to do in Moorea!
- Enjoy a freshly squeezed pineapple juice picked straight from the plantation
- Feed the reef sharks in the lagoon and experience a “kiss” from a sting ray!
- Taste a tiare flower flavoured ice cream at the Agricultural College
- Wind your way up to the Belvedere lookout for magnificent views of the mountains, bays and lagoon
- Cycle around the island and discover your own private piece of paradise …it’s only 60km!
- Surf at Haapiti - one of the world’s most consistent breaks
- Have a close encounter with the Dolphins at the InterContinental Resort
- Go on a Motu picnic and learn how to make the famous Tahitian raw fish – poisson cru!
- Take a horse ride through the pineapple plantations and majestic valleys
- Play a round of golf at the lagoon side Moorea Pearl Green Golf course
Hungry? Here are some of our favourite places to eat in Moorea!
- Snack Mahana– located just down the road from the InterContinental Resort this place is always packed with locals and tourists alike! Offering fresh fish served in a variety of styles as well as steak, chicken and other “roulotte” type dishes. This little snack restaurant is a gem and is perfect for lunch given its gorgeous outdoor lagoon side setting – but we recommend you book a table or you may miss out!
- Hilton Overwater Creperie – this is a fabulous evening dining option as it is uniquely situated over the water amongst the overwater bungalows of the Hilton Resort. Open to non-hotel guests, it offers reasonably priced sweet & savoury crepes and is also a perfect spot for a pre-dinner drink. A bonus is the many reef sharks that are attracted to the lights and gather in the lagoon beneath - a unique view to accompany dinner!
- Les Tipaniers – Located within the grounds of the Les Tipaniers hotel, this little restaurant is best at lunchtime to maximise its stunning lagoon-side position. This is a simple open air snack restaurant offering a varied menu to suit most lunchtime desires. Inexpensive and relaxed.
- Hibiscus –Located lagoon side within the Hotel Hibiscus, this is a great pizza option for lunch or dinner. Inexpensive and delicious wood fire pizzas are on offer as well as a comprehensive a la carte menu.
- Te Honu Iti - Offering a varied menu, this little restaurant offers free transfers from most hotels. Taking advantage of its lagoon-side location, it attracts the local marine life with sting rays often cruising the lagoon waters beneath.
Prefer speaking on the phone?
Our Destination Experts are ready to take your call and help you plan out your perfect holiday. Let us offer you expert advice, handy tips, and friendly service.Meet our tahiti destination experts
Some popular Moorea Packages
Fall for the irresistible beauty of French Polynesia aboard Oceania's Insignia/Regatta ship. From Papeete, your ship shall make its way across South Pacific's glittering beaches, lagoons, and cultural spots filling your gaze with unforgettable vistas and natural wonders. Your cruise getaway includes a 2-night pre/post stay at the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa sprawled beautifully on a lush tropical garden alongside an idyllic lagoon.
Experience the most beautiful islands of French Polynesia, Moorea and Tahiti, and create treasured moments with this 7-night package.
Spend lazy days by the pool or on the beach at the 4-star Manava Beach Resort and Spa, a gorgeous slice of paradise on Moorea.
A romantic holiday awaits you at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora, a gorgeous resort boasting Polynesian bungalows and villas furnished with modern amenities.
Get the celebrity treatment world-class service with our fabulous InterContinental Bora Bora package. Situated on Motu Piti Aau, InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa features an exclusive private beach, an award-winning spa and excellent dining experience with three restaurants on site. Enjoy the resort’s water sports facilities and cultural offerings. This package also includes two nights at the 4-star InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa.
Escape to the beautiful and romantic island of Bora Bora with a 7-night stay at the luxurious, 5-star Le Meridien Bora Bora and the charming, Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort.
Experience the luxurious features of Aranui 5 during your unforgettable Polynesian journey to the remote ports and exotic islands of the Marquesas. Package includes a 3-night stay at the stunning Manava Suite Resort.