After a 50-minute flight from Tahiti, you will find the stunning island of Bora Bora which features the world’s most beautiful lagoon.
There are a dozen different shades of blue in Bora Bora’s lagoon and you can relax away the day trying to spot them all! Your first glimpses of the stunning colours of the Bora Bora lagoon are on arrival at the Motu Mute airport which is located on a motu, a small sandy islet. The majority of hotels and resorts are built on motus in the lagoon surrounding the main island, with Mount Otemanu peak as its centrepiece.
Bora Bora is synonymous with romance and is home to the iconic Overwater Bungalows. The vast choice of resorts, all as spectacular as the next, makes it the perfect honeymoon destination.
We love Bora Bora because it is the epitome of paradise. The colours of the lagoon are even more stunning than you see in photos and the lagoon is warm, crystal clear and totally mesmerising. There are a range of activities on offer in Bora Bora including shark & ray feeding, jet skiing, quad bike adventures and the fascinating island tour where you will discover the island’s World War II history.
Bora Bora will suit those travellers looking for a paradise setting with the luxury of resort amenities. There is a varied level of accommodation on offer however the hotel landscape is mainly composed of expansive luxury resorts. The turquoise lagoon is simply breathtaking and you will find relaxing all day is actually quite tiring! Bora Bora truly is a paradise.
Here's a few of our favourite things to do in Bora Bora!
- Stay in an overwater bungalow and watch the fish life through the glass!
- Visit Matira Beach with its turquoise shallow waters and white sand
- Drop in for a drink at the famous, sandy- bottomed Bloody Marys Restaurant
- Have your breakfast delivered in a canoe to your overwater bungalow
- Take a snorkelling trip to the Coral Garden to witness an amazing abundance of fish
- Hire a bike in the main village of Vaitape and discover the roadside snack bars and trinket shops
- Take a jet-ski tour around the island – one of the best ways to see the blues of Bora Bora’s lagoon
- Enjoy a romantic beach dinner
- Take a 4WD tour of the main island and learn about Bora Bora’s WW2 history
- Snorkel or dive with the lemon sharks, outside of the Bora Bora reef
Hungry? Here’s some of our favourite places to eat in Bora Bora!
- Bora Bora Yacht Club – The restaurant is located in the Yacht Club. It is open for lunch and dinner and offers a chilled-out atmosphere with an open air deck setting with fabulous views across the lagoon.
- Sushi Take – located at The St Regis Bora Bora Resort there is nothing more to say other than this is the BEST sushi in French Polynesia!
- Bloody Mary’s – Offers a fresh fish menu but rather than dining here we prefer to pop in for a drink at this iconic sandy floored restaurant.
- The St James – Fine dining. This restaurant overlooks the lagoon and provides a picturesque setting. It is a mainly seafood menu, cooked French style. There is also a lagoon-side bar from which you can enjoy a pre-dinner drink. A great place to spot the rays!